Open as PDF
Service Tech Information
MANUAL ADVANCE REGENERATION CHECK
This check verifies proper operation of the valve motor,
brine tank fill, brine draw, regeneration flow rates, and
other controller functions. Always make the initial
checks, and the manual initiated diagnostics.
NOTE: The faceplate display must show a steady
time (not flashing). If an error code shows, first
press the SELECT button to enter the diagnostic
1. Press the REGENERATION button and hold in for 3
seconds. *RECHARGE and Fill begin to flash (or
clean backwash begins, if set) as the softener enters
the fill cycle of regeneration.
* NOTE: If the CLEAN feature is set to ON, a clean-
ing backwash (CLEAN and Bkwsh or Rinse flashes
in the display, along with the minutes of the clean
cycle remaining), precedes the recharge.
2. When FILL is on steady, remove the brinewell cover
and, using a flashlight, observe fill water entering the
3. If water does not enter the tank, look for an obstruct-
ed nozzle, venturi, fill flow plug, brine tubing, or brine
valve riser pipe.
CYCLE FLOW RATES (GALLONS PER MIN.)
FILL (flow to salt storage tank) 0.3 (1.1 liters)
BRINING (flow to drain) .22 (.83 liters)
BRINE RINSE (flow to drain) .15 (.57 liters)
MAX. BACKWASH (flow to drain) 2.0 (7.6 liters)
MAX. FAST RINSE (flow to drain) 2.0 (7.6 liters)
4. After observing fill, press the REGENERATION but-
ton to move the softener into brining. A slow flow of
water to the drain will begin. Verify brine draw from
the brine tank by shining a flashlight into the brinewell
and observing a noticeable drop in the liquid level.
NOTE: Be sure a salt bridge is not preventing water
with salt contact.
5. If the softener does not draw brine:
• nozzle and/or venturi dirty or defective.
• nozzle and venturi not seated properly on gasket
• restricted drain (check drain fitting and hose)
• defective nozzle and venturi seal
• other inner valve defect (rotor seal, rotor & disc,
wave washer, etc.)
NOTE: If water system pressure is low, an elevated
drain hose may cause back pressure, stopping
6. Again press REGENERATION to move the softener
into backwash. Look for a fast flow of water from the
7. An obstructed flow indicates a plugged top distributor,
backwash flow plu or drain hose.
8. Press RECHARGE to move the softener into fast
rinse. Again look for a fast drain flow. Allow the sof-
tener to rinse for a few minutes to flush out any brine
that may remain in the resin tank from the brining
9. To return the softener to service, press REGENERA-
TION once more.
Questions? Call The Kenmore Water Line 1-800-426-9345