Open as PDF
8. After circulaiting the macine for 10 - 15 minutes or solution has reached
95°F (35°C), shut machine OFF.
9. Dump solution. Repeat Setps 6 - 8.
10. With machine OFF (Step 8), let cleaning solution dwell in machine for
15 - 30 minutes.
11. After 15 - 30 minutes, reconnect feed to RO unit and connect concentrate and per-
meate to drain. Turn machine ON and flush permeate water to the drain for
10 - 15 minutes.
This ensures that all cleaning agents have been removed for the machine.
12. If cleaning with an organic cleaner, return to Step 1 and repeat Steps 1 -11.
13. After completing cleaning (normal and organic) and flushing to the drain recon-
nect permeate to the point of use, concentrate to the drain, and reconnect feed to
the RO unit.
ARNING: LOSS OF PRIME DURING SUCTION CLEANING MAY
RESULT IN SERIOUS DAMAGE TO THE PUMP.
: As previously mentioned, the manufacturer recommends use of a CIP
or booster pump to circulate the cleaning solution during membrane
2.16 Membrane Element Replacement
CAUTION: Replacement membrane elements are shipped from the factory in a plas-
tic bag with a small amount of bactericide solution to prevent biological
growth. When installing the membrane elements, always provide ade-
quate ventilation and wear gloves while handling the membrane elements
as recommended. The membrane elements must be kept moist at all
times to prevent possible damage to the membrane element material.
1. Remove the top end caps and clamps from the membrane element housings
(Figure 2.4, Membrane Element Installation). Lubricate all O-rings and brine
seals, and the polyvinyl chloride (PVC) membrane element stems (stingers) with
a non-petroleum based lubricate (i.e., glycerin or poly water).
2. Load the down flow membrane elements first, by inserting the membrane element
into the membrane element housing with the brine seal end of the membrane ele-
ment up. Slowly turn the membrane element as you lower it into the membrane