Open as PDF
BEFORE RETURNING THIS PRODUCT
FOR ANY REASON PLEASE CALL
IF YOU SHOULD EXPERIENCE A PROBLEM
WITH YOUR BLACK & DECKER PRODUCT,
CALL 1-800-54-HOW-TO (544-6986).
BEFORE YOU CALL, HAVE THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION
AVAILABLE, CATALOG NO., TYPE NO., AND DATE CODE.
IN MOST CASES, A BLACK & DECKER REPRESENTATIVE CAN RESOLVE
YOUR PROBLEM OVER THE PHONE. IF YOU HAVE A SUGGESTION OR
COMMENT, GIVE US A CALL. YOUR FEEDBACK IS VITAL TO BLACK & DECKER.
Catalog No. CV1400
SAVE THIS MANUAL FOR FUTURE REFERENCE.
INSTRUCTIVO DE OPERACIÓN, CENTROS DE SERVICIO Y PÓLIZA DE GARANTÍA.
ADVERTENCIA: LÉASE ESTE INSTRUCTIVO ANTES DE USAR EL PRODUCTO.
VEA EL ESPAÑOL EN LA CONTRAPORTADA.
When using electrical appliances, basic safety precautions should always be followed,
including the following:
PLEASE READ AND UNDERSTAND ALL INSTRUCTIONS CAREFULLY BEFORE USING
WARNING: To reduce the risk of fire, electrical shock or injury:
• Do not leave appliance when plugged in. Unplug from outlet when not in use and before
• Use indoors only. Do not use on wet surfaces.
• Do not store outdoors or on wet surfaces. To prevent tripping accidents, store vacuum after
• Close supervision is necessary when any appliance is used near children. Do not allow to
be used as a toy.
• Use only as described in this manual. Use only manufacturer’s recommended attachments.
• Do not operate any appliance with a damaged cord or plug or after the appliance
malfunctions, is left outdoors, dropped into water or is damaged in any manner. Return the
appliance to any authorized service facility.
• Do not pull or carry by cord, do not use cord as a handle, do not close a door on cord or pull
cord around sharp edges or corners, do not run appliance over cord. Keep cord away from
• Do not unplug by pulling on cord. To unplug, grasp the plug, not the cord.
• Do not handle plug or appliance with wet hands.
• Do not put any object into unit openings. Do not use with any openings blocked; keep free
of dust, lint, hair, and anything that may reduce air flow.
• Keep hair, loose clothing, fingers, and all parts of body away from openings, moving parts
and rotating brush.
• Keep end of hose, wands and other openings away from your face and body.
• Use extra caution when cleaning on stairs.
• Keep work areas well lit.
• Do not vacuum any electrical appliances while they are plugged in.
• Do not use this product to pick up sharp objects, metallic debris or large, solid objects (i.e.,
rocks or pebbles), as product damage may result.
• Do not use to pick up any liquids, toxic substances, flammable or combustible liquids such
as gasoline or use in areas where they may be present.
• Do not place or drop the product into water or other liquids, if the product falls into water,
immediately unplug it from the electrical outlet. Do not touch or reach into the water.
• Do not use this product while standing in water or on wet surfaces.
• Do not vacuum burning or smoking materials, such as lit cigarette butts, matches or hot
• Do not use on or near hot surfaces. Keep cord away from heated surfaces.
• Do not use without dirt bowl and filters in place.
• Turn off the switch before unplugging.
• Use only extension cords UL-rated or cUL at 15 amperes. Extension cords rated for less
amperage may overheat. Care should be taken to arrange the cord so that the cord cannot
be pulled or tripped over.
• Using improper voltage may result in damage to the motor and possible injury to the user.
Correct voltage is listed on the rating label.
• Always wear the appropriate shoes and clothing while operating this product.
• Do not allow children or any person unfamiliar with these instructions to use the appliance.
• Do not allow children or animals to come near the work area or to touch the appliance or
power supply cord.
• When not in use, the appliance should be stored in a dry place. Children should not have
access to stored appliances.
• Use only extension cords rated UL/cUL or UL/CSA at 15 amperes.
SAVE THESE INSTRUCTIONS
Form No. 586737-03 Cat. No. CV1400 (NOV. ‘04)
Copyright © 2004 Black & Decker Printed in China
Additional Safety Warnings for Vacuum Cleaners
• Before use, always make sure that the filter is correctly seated.
• Do not immerse the appliance in water.
• Keep the air exhaust away from your eyes and face.
• Do not carry the appliance at the container handle.
• Always work from bottom up when using the appliance on stairs, and keep the appliance at
least a stair below your working position.
• Do not use the appliance without the suction head or another suitable accessory mounted
to the tube.
• The canister vacuum is a very powerful unit. Make sure to hold firmly when starting and in use.
• Use only Black & Decker accessories.
WARNING: Always unplug the product from the electrical outlet before assembling,
opening or emptying the container, or connecting/disconnecting the
CAUTION: Keep the suction intake opening free from obstruction at all times; otherwise
the motor will overheat and product damage may result.
WARNING: This product contains chemicals, including lead, known to the State of
California to cause cancer, and birth defects or other reproductive harm.
Wash hands after handling.
WARNING: Some dust created by this product contains chemicals known to the State of
California to cause cancer, birth defects or other reproductive harm. Some
examples of these chemicals are:
• compounds in fertilizers
• compounds in insecticides, herbicides and pesticides
• arsenic and chromium from chemically treated lumber
To reduce your exposure to these chemicals, wear approved safety equipment such as dust
masks that are specially designed to filter out microscopic particles.
CAUTION: The vacuum could move unexpectedly if the air inlet is suddenly blocked.
IMPORTANT: Washing filters improves vacuum performance. Make sure all filters are
completely dry before inserting back in the hand vacuum.
This appliance is intended for household use only and not for commercial or
This appliance includes some or all of the following features (fig. A).
1. On/off switch
2. Speed control switch
3. Cord rewind button
7. Airflow control switch
8. Extension tube
9. Suction head
In addition, this appliance is
supplied with some or all of
the following accessories
11. Crevice tool
12. Brush tool
13. Wooden floor brush
14. Filter cleaning brush
15. Turbo brush