Open as PDF
CHARGING THE POWER PACK
THE BATTERIES IN YOUR POWER PACK ARE NOT FULLY CHARGED AT THE
ATTEMPTING TO CHARGE THEM, THOROUGHLY READ ALL OF THE SAFETY
The charger is designed to use standard household 120 volt 60 Hz power.
1. Plug the charger into any standard 120 Volt 60 Hz electrical outlet.
2. Slide the charger onto the battery pack as shown in Figure below and let it charge
initially for 9 hours. After the initial charge, under normal usage, your power pack
should be fully charged in 3 to 6 hours.
3. Remove pack from the charger and place in tool. NOTE: To remove the battery from
the cordless hand vacuum press down on the release button on the back of the battery
and pull out.
Battery storage and carrying caps are provided for use whenever the battery is out of the
tool or charger. Remove cap before placing battery in charger or tool.
WARNING: Do not store or carry battery so that metal objects can contact exposed
battery terminals. For example, do not place battery in aprons, pockets, tool boxes, product
kit boxes, drawers, etc. with loose nails, screws, keys, etc. without battery cap.
Without cap in place, battery could short circuit causing fire or burns or damage to
IMPORTANT CHARGING NOTES
1. After normal usage, your power pack should be fully charged in 3 to 8 hours. If the
power pack is run-down completely, it may take up to 6 hours to become fully charged.
Your power pack was sent from the factory in an uncharged condition. Before
attempting to use it, it must be charged for at least 3 hours.
2. DO NOT charge the power pack in an air temperature below +40°F (4.5°C) or above
+105°F (40°C). This is important and will prevent serious damage to the power pack.
Longest life and best performance can be obtained if power pack is charged when air
temperature is about +75°F (24°C).
3. While charging, the charger may hum and become warm to touch. This is a normal
condition and does not indicate a problem.
4. If the power pack does not charge properly –
(1) Check current at receptacle by plugging in a lamp or other appliance.
(2) Check to see if the receptacle is connected to a light switch which turns power off
whenyou turn out the lights.
(3) Move charger and power pack to a surrounding air temperature of +40°F (4.5°C) to
+105°F (40° C).
(4) If the receptacle and temperature are OK, and you do not get proper charging, take
or send the power pack and charger to your local Black & Decker service center. See
"Tools Electric"’ in yellow pages.
5. The power pack should be recharged when it fails to produce sufficient power on the
jobs which were easily done previously. DO NOT CONTINUE using the cordless
hand vacuum with the power pack in a depleted condition.
6. To prolong power pack life, avoid leaving the power pack on charge for extended
periods of time (over 30 days without use). Although overcharging is not a safety
concern, it can significantly reduce overall power pack life.
When using electrical appliances, basic safety precautions should always be followed,
including the following:
PLEASE READ AND UNDERSTAND ALL INSTRUCTIONS BEFORE USING THE UNIT.
SAFETY GUIDELINES - DEFINITIONS
It is important for you to read and understand this manual.
The information it contains relates to protecting YOUR SAFETY and PREVENTING
PROBLEMS. The symbols below are used to help you recognize this information.
DANGER: Indicates an imminently hazardous situation which, if not avoided,
will result in death or serious injury.
WARNING: Indicates a potentially hazardous situation which, if not
avoided, could result in death or serious injury.
CAUTION: Indicates a potentially hazardous situation which, if not avoided,
may result in minor or moderate injury.
CAUTION: Used without the safety alert symbol indicates a potentially
hazardous situation which, if not avoided, may result in property damage.
WARNING: Some household dust contains chemicals known to the
State of California to cause cancer, birth defects or other reproductive harm such as
asbestos and lead in lead based paint.
WARNING: To reduce the risk of fire, electrical shock or injury:
• Close supervision is necessary when any appliance is used by or near children. Do not
allow to be used as a toy.
• To protect against risk of electrical shock, do not put unit or charging base in water or other
• Do not use Cordless Hand vacuum to pick up liquids, toxic substances, flammable or
combustible liquids such as gasoline or use in areas where they may be present.
• Do not use wet/dry hand vacs to pick up toxic substances, flammable or combustible
liquids such as gasoline or use in areas where they may be present.
• Do not operate in the presence of explosives and/or flammable fumes or liquids.
• Do not operate any appliance with a damaged cord or charger or after the appliance
malfunctions, is left outdoors, dropped into water or is damaged in any manner. Return
the appliance to any authorized service facility.
• Do not use Cordless Hand Vacuum outdoors or on wet surfaces. Do not use the wet/dry
hand vacs outdoors.
• Do not abuse the cord. Never carry the charger or base by the cord or yank to disconnect
from an outlet; instead grasp the charger and pull to disconnect. Keep cord away from
heated surfaces. Do not pull cord around sharp edges or corners.
• Do not allow the cord to hang over the edge of a table or counter or touch hot surfaces. The unit
should be placed or mounted away from sinks and hot surfaces.
• Do not use an extension cord. Plug the charger directly into an electrical outlet.
• Use the charger only in a standard electrical outlet (120V/60Hz).
• Do not attempt to use the charger with any other product; do not attempt to charge this
product with any other charger. Use only the charger supplied by the manufacturer to recharge.
• Keep hair, loose clothing, and all parts of body away from openings and moving parts.
• Do not insert accessories when unit is running.
• Do not handle plug or appliance with wet hands.
• Do not put any object into unit openings. Do not use with any openings blocked; keep free
of dust, lint, hair, and anything that may reduce air flow.
• Do not operate the unit without a filter in place. Replace a damaged filter promptly.
• Do not vacuum burning or smoking materials, such as lit cigarette butts, matches or hot ashes.
• Do not use on or near hot surfaces.
• Use extra caution when cleaning on stairs.
• This appliance is intended for household use only and not for commercial or industrial use.
• Use only as described in this manual. Use only manufacturer’s recommended attachments.
• Unplug the charger from outlet before any routine cleaning or maintenance.
• This product includes rechargeable nickel cadmium batteries. Do not incinerate batteries
as they will explode at high temperatures.
• Leaks from battery cells can occur under extreme conditions. If the liquid, which is a 20-
35% solution of potassium hydroxide, gets on the skin (1) wash quickly with soap and
water or (2) neutralize with a mild acid such as lemon juice or vinegar. If the liquid gets
into the eyes, flush them immediately with clean water for a minimum of 10 minutes. Seek
How To Use
Catalog Nos. SPV1400, SPV1450, SPV1800,
SAVE THESE INSTRUCTIONS
FIG. A 1. On/Off switch 3. Dust bowl 5. Slide pack battery
2. Release button 4. Exhaust Filter
Catalog Nos. SPV1400, SPV1450, SPV1800, SPV140F, SPV180F PRINTED IN CHINA
Copyright © 2008 Black & Decker FORM NO. 587143-00 Rev. 1 MARCH ‘08
VEA EL ESPAÑOL EN LA CONTRAPORTADA.
INSTRUCTIVO DE OPERACIÓN, CENTROS DE SERVICIO Y PÓLIZA DE GARANTÍA.
ADVERTENCIA: LÉASE ESTE INSTRUCTIVO ANTES DE USAR EL PRODUCTO.
SAVE THIS MANUAL FOR FUTURE REFERENCE.
FOR HOUSEHOLD USE ONLY.
BEFORE RETURNING THIS PRODUCT FOR ANY REASON PLEASE CALL
BEFORE YOU CALL, HAVE THE CATALOG No. AND DATE CODE AVAILABLE. IN MOST CASES, ABLACK & DECKER
REPRESENTATIVE CAN RESOLVE THE PROBLEM OVER THE PHONE. IF YOU HAVE A SUGGESTION OR
COMMENT, GIVE US ACALL. YOUR FEEDBACK IS VITAL TO BLACK & DECKER.
To purchase a replacement filter